New rules for the John F. Kennedy Student Paper Competition
Updated on: June 13, 2019
The IAHR Awards Committee is finalising a new scheme for the John F. Kennedy Student Paper Competition. The 2019 Award will be a joint JFK family and IAHR award called Kennedy-YPN Award.
The 2019 Kennedy-YPN Award will allow the Young Professionals Networks of each of the three regional divisions - America, Asia Pacific and Europe - to nominate a YP representative from each regionto receive a travel grant to cover part of the costs of attending the upcoming IAHR World Congress in Panama and give a short motivational speech which will be recorded and published in IAHR media.
Details on application and selection process:
In the past, the prize for the best lecture and paper was given to a young researcher during the congress. This year we would like to give YPN members the opportunity to participate in the IAHR Congress in Panama with a travel scholarship. The scholarship amount is 850 US Dollar per award winner and will be used for travel and accommodation expenses as well as registration fees.
What is the procedure to receive such financial support?
1. Each YPN is entitled to nominate one candidate as potential awardee for the travel fund. The selected personality should represent your YPN on the one hand and on the other hand represent his/her personal commitment to the IAHR and the topic "Water". He/she does not necessarily have to be the president or a member of the leadership team.
2. The application must be sent in digital form to IAHR office (firstname.lastname@example.org) and must content two parts:
a. Part I: Briefly describe the general activities of your YPN. We would, like to publish this part later. It will be publicly available on the IAHR webpage (app. one to two pages of text. If you have pictures of the activities, you can add them).
b. Part II: The candidate shall describe his/her personal activities and commitment in IAHR YPN and his/her motivation to participate in the World Congress. It also would be good to describe the potential outreach and the future impact of attending the congress (app. one page).
3. Send your application by 30th June 2019. Applications received at a later date will unfortunately not be considered due to the short deadlines.
How will the selection process proceed?
4. The IAHR office will then forward the submitted applications to the respective Vice-Presidents. Applications from Europe will go the VP-Europe (VP Prof. Silke Wieprecht), those from APD-region to VP-APD (VP Prof. James Ball) and those from Americas region to VP-Americas (VP Prof. Arturo Marcano). Each VP then selects the three best applications/candidates, who are then nominated for election. This process should be completed by the beginning of July.
5. An online ballot is then created for each region, giving the regional representatives the opportunity to vote for one of the three candidates. The candidate with the highest number of votes in each region will then be awarded with the IAHR Travel Fund, the Kennedy-YPN-Award. The ballot will take place in July, so that the three selected candidates will receive a notification by the end of July and can start their travel organization directly.
What do we expect?
- The awardee has to be present during the IAHR World Congress in Panama. If the awardee does not appear, the money is forfeited.
- During the congress, each of the selected candidates will give a short motivational speech, in which they will talk about Jack Kennedy´s commitments to young researchers, encourage other Young Professionals to be active member in IAHR and talk about your future carrier goals and why membership of IAHR can help to achieve your goals.
Summary of dates and deadlines:
- 30 June 2019: Send your application
- End of July: Notification of the decision
- 1-6 September 2019: We look forward to meeting you in Panama!