Research Associate in Hydro-environmental Modelling
Cardiff School of Engineering
Cardiff School of Engineering
You will undertake research and project coordination on an (European Union) EU INTERREG contract entitled “Water-Energy Nexus Strategy Approach: Direct Renewable Energy Use And High-Energy Efficiency” (EERES4WATER). This is a joint project with partners in Spain, Portugal, France and Ireland.
This post aims at increasing the efficiency of the Waste Water Treatment Works (WWTWs) and reducing their energy consumption without any adverse impact on the environment in collaboration with industrial partners.
This post is full time, available immediately and is fixed term for until 31st December 2021.
Salary: £33,199 - £39,609 per annum (Grade 6)
For an informal discussion about the post please contact Dr Reza Ahmadian, email AhmadianR@cardiff.ac.uk
For a discussion about working at Cardiff University please contact Gaynor James, email JamesG5@cardiff.ac.uk
Date advert posted: Monday, 1 July 2019
Closing date: Thursday, 1 August 2019
Please be aware that Cardiff University reserves the right to close this vacancy early should sufficient applications be received.
Cardiff University is committed to supporting and promoting equality and diversity and to creating an inclusive working environment. We believe this can be achieved through attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse range of staff from many different backgrounds who have the ambition to create a University which seeks to fulfil our social, cultural and economic obligation to Cardiff, Wales, and the world. In supporting our employees to achieve a balance between their work and their personal lives, we will also consider proposals for flexible working or job share arrangements.
- To conduct research within hydro-environmental modelling and contribute to the overall research performance of the School and University by the production of measurable outputs including bidding for funding, publishing in national academic journals and conferences, and the recruitment and supervision of postgraduate research students.
- To develop research objectives and proposals for own or joint research including research funding proposals
- To attend and or present at conferences/seminars at a local and national level as required
- To undertake administrative tasks associated with the research project, including the planning and organisation of the project and the implementation of procedures required to ensure accurate and timely reporting
- To prepare research ethics and research governance applications as appropriate
- To review and synthesise existing research literature within the field
- To participate in School research activities.
- To build and create networks both internally and externally to the university, to influence decisions, explore future research requirements, and share research ideas for the benefit of research projects
- To engage effectively with industrial, commercial and public sector organisations, professional institutions, other academic institutions etc., regionally and nationally to raise awareness of the School’s profile, to cultivate strategically valuable alliances, and to pursue opportunities for collaboration across a range of activities. These activities are expected to contribute to the School and the enhancement of its regional and national profile.
- To undergo personal and professional development that is appropriate to and which will enhance performance.
- To participate in School administration and activities to promote the School and its work to the wider University and the outside world.
- Any other duties not included above, but consistent with the role
Qualifications and Education
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Postgraduate degree at PhD level (or nearing completion / submission) in a related subject area or relevant industrial experience
Communication and Team Working
- An established expertise and proven portfolio of research and/or relevant industrial experience within the following research fields:
- Hydrodynamics (including inland and coastal) processes and a knowledge of solute and sediment transport processes.
- Water quality modelling and EIA.
- Development or application of computational software to solve computational fluid dynamics problems for free surface flow problems or similar.
- Knowledge of current status of research in specialist field
- Proven ability to publish in high-quality journal and high-impact conferences.
- Knowledge and understanding of competitive research funding to be able to develop applications to funding bodies.
- Proven ability in effective and persuasive communication.
- Ability to supervise the work of others to focus team efforts and motivate individuals
- Proven ability to demonstrate creativity, innovation and team-working within work.
- Proven ability to work without close supervision
- Good knowledge of bacterial processes in coastal and riverine environments.
- Good background knowledge of Artificial Intelligence and Data Mining.
- Evidence of collaborations with industry.
- Proven ability to adapt to the changing requirements of the Higher Education community.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills.
IMPORTANT: Evidencing Criteria
Candidates should evidence that they meet ALL of the essential criteria as well as, where relevant, the desirable criteria.
As part of the application process you will be asked to provide this evidence via a supporting statement. Please ensure when submitting this document / attaching it to your application profile you name it with the vacancy reference number, in this instance,8379BR.
Academic - Research
To apply, please visit the original page at https://krb-sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/home/HomeWithPreLoad?PageType=JobDetails&partnerid=30011&siteid=5460&AReq=8379BR#jobDetails=1466066_5460