AIR Worldwide (AIR), a member of the Verisk Insurance Solutions group at Verisk Analytics, is the scientific leader and most respected provider of risk modeling software and consulting services. AIR founded the catastrophe modeling industry in 1987 and today models the risk from natural catastrophes and terrorism in 90 countries. AIR offers the opportunity to work with advanced technologies, global clients, and hundreds of the most innovative, talented minds in the industry.
Become a member of the AIR’s growing Research and Modeling department. Work closely with an energetic team of scientists, engineers, analysts, and statisticians conducting research and developing models used to estimate and manage the financial risk associated with catastrophes resulting from extreme weather events.
• Work with established research and modeling teams to conduct and assimilate emerging hydrodynamical research to enhance numerical storm surge and tsunami models
• develop advanced stochastic simulation techniques for probabilistic assessment and sensitivity analysis
• Manage the collection and analysis a wide range of observational and numerical model data, and integrate the highest quality information into the modeling process
• Address client questions to help them better understand how natural catastrophes impact risk to property
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Strong background in fluid dynamics
• Strong math skills and understanding of statistics. Knowledge of smart interpolation algorithms and response surface methodologies is a plus
• Solid technical programming skills gained through practical experience, in particular using languages and tools like FORTRAN, GIS, MATLAB, C, and/or C++. Experience with numerical hydrodynamic models is a plus
• Proficiency in working in a Linux/Unix environment, including scripting in languages such as C-shell, Bash, Tcl/Tk
• Ability to gather, integrate, and critically analyze data from all relevant sources of natural hazard information
• Highly motivated and self-directed with demonstrated experience in advancing complex projects and working with interdisciplinary teams of scientists
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
• M.S. degree (preferably Ph.D.) in Earth, Atmospheric, or Planetary science or related discipline required