Sandia's Water Power Technologies Department performs research and development to improve performance, lower costs, and accelerate the deployment of water power technologies. The primary focus area of the department's work is Marine Hydrokinetics (MHK) research with lower levels of effort in Offshore Wind (OW) and Hydropower. The department is responsible for all aspects of Marine Hydrokinetic device design, performance, system reliability, system integration, and environmental evaluations for the Department of Energy's Wind and Water Power Technologies Office and in collaboration with industry partners. Offshore Wind Energy activities currently include Vertical Axis Wind Turbine (VAWT) design and analysis and foundation scour. Hydropower efforts focus on seasonal simulation and optimization. Through partnerships with industry, academia, other National Labs, and public dissemination of results, Sandia serves an important role in energy security for the nation.
The Renewable Energy Technologies group (6120 has an opportunity for a technical manager who will help build our nation's renewable energy portfolio. The successful candidate will manage all personnel and lab resources in the Water Power Technologies Department (6122) and will also lead Water Power program development activities and management functions to meet customer deliverables. Management functions and responsibilities include the following: allocation, prioritization and management of staff, technicians, union personnel, contract personnel and financial resources; lead technical staff and lead Sandia's water power program team to direct the development of technical programs; management of facilities and staff in support of the annual operating plan's activities and milestones; supporting the water power program team's interactions with internal and external customers and sponsors, in particular with key sponsoring organizations such as DOE/EERE; recruiting, coaching, and mentoring department staff and students; serving as a member of the Energy Technologies and System Solutions Center management team to achieve common objectives; and adhering to all Sandia policies that demonstrate Sandia corporate core values.
The manager will be expected to lead and develop staff with backgrounds in areas such as mechanical engineering, aerodynamics, fluid mechanics, and systems engineering. The manager will enable staff success through career development support and will assist with ongoing programs and projects to ensure success from a staffing, cost, schedule, and performance perspective. The manager will be expected to establish a robust research and technology development plan, through which core capabilities will be sustained and advanced. The manager will be expected to work closely with other renewable energy department managers, Center 6100 staff and management, opportunity area leads, and existing business development support personnel, and to establish business opportunities and relationships to advance department and renewables program objectives. The manager must assure continuous improvement of a strong safety and quality culture and excellence in conduct of operations to ensure saf!
e operations is essential. Business travel (1-3 times per month) will be required.
* Advanced degree in science or engineering plus 5 or more years of related experience.
* Demonstrated experience in developing and leading research efforts.
* Successful experience building effective multi-organizational partnerships - both internal and with industry, universities, national laboratories, and government.
* Demonstrated success in program development.
* Successful track record in mentoring and developing people.
* Strong teaming and interpersonal skills, including clear and effective written and verbal communication.
* Commitment to Sandia Corporate values, workforce diversity, and the motivation to achieve a culture of continuous improvement in safety, security, and quality.
* Direct technical and/or programmatic experience with water power or related technologies.
* Prior experience in working with DOE energy programs.
* Demonstrated success in developing institutional or national initiatives.
* Knowledge and demonstrated characteristics of Sandia's Full Spectrum Leadership model: shaping the future, building effective relationships, delivering results, modeling personal excellence, integrity and accountability, and energizing a team to perform.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted Q-level security clearance.
Please apply through the official posting at [http://www.sandia.gov<http://www.sandia.gov/]http://www.sandia.gov<http://www.sandia.gov/> in the 'Careers' section. Click on 'View All Jobs' and search for the applicable Job ID number below (or by searching the postings by Org 6122)
| Kelley Ruehl | Water Power Technologies | Sandia National Laboratories | Phone: (505) 284.8724 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com> |