RWTH Aachen University, Mies-van-der-Rohe Str. 1, Aachen
When RWTH Aachen University was founded in 1870, Prof. Otto Intze was lecturing on hydraulic engineering in flood protection, waterpower, and dam construction. In 1896, the first chair for hydraulic engineering was established by Prof. Nikolaus Holz. He built an experimental hall with a floor space of 170 square metres at the end of the 1920s and was succeeded by Prof. Alfred Buntru in 1936.
In 1955, a new hydraulic laboratory was built in the Kreuzherrenstrasse in Aachen thanks to the commitment of Alfred Buntru. Alfred Buntru was succeeded by Wilhelm Borkenstein in 1958, who focused on the planning and construction of hydro power plants and dams. He renamed the chair in the Institute of Hydraulic Engineering and Water Resources Management in 1960. His successors were Gerhard Rouvé, Jürgen Köngeter, and Holger Schüttrumpf . The laboratory in the Kreuzherrenstrasse formed the core of the institute until 2013, when the institute moved into a new building. This new building houses the institute and all its employees as well as the 2,200 square metre laboratory in Aachen’s Mies-van-der-Rohe-Strasse.